Easy Sour Cream Lemon Pie recipe by Cookies, Crumbs and Crust
Apr 02 2020
With Easter baking and spring sweets top of mind, we asked Cookies, Crumbs and Crust founder Jill Marks to share a go-to recipe with us. Her response was speedy: "My mom made the most delicious sour cream lemon pie for Christmas," she said. "This recipe is so close to what she made! I'm making it right now..."
Here's what you'll need!
• Pastry for a single-crust pie (use your favorite homemade or store-bought crust!)
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
• 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
• 1/4 cup butter, cubed
• 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
What to do!
1. Preheat oven to 450°
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8 inch thick circle; transfer to a 9 inch pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 inch beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
3. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake until bottom is lightly browned, 8 minutes.
4. Remove foil and weights; bake until golden brown, 5-7 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
5. In a large heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
6. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
7. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon zest. Cool without stirring.
8. Stir in sour cream. Add filling to crust. Top with whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator.